Sunday, September 4, 2011

Upcoming Nintendo 3DS Conference 2011



Next Tuesday Nintendo of Japan will be holding a conference about the 3DS. The Nintendo 3DS isn't performing well and Nintendo is an a hurry to change things. There are several rumors about what we can expect. For example there were rumors about a new 3DS model with a new branding, which doesn't focus on 3D, and a second slide pad. But if they really announce a new 3DS model, it would kill the current 3DS. Why should I want to buy a 3DS now, if a better model will be available next year?

What the 3DS is lacking is software. I would have already bought a 3DS, if there would be any must-have can't-wait-to-play software. But all larger 3DS titles are just remakes or new versions of older games. Ocarina of Time 3D and Starfox 64 3D? I can play those already on my Nintendo 64 or my Wii Virtual Console and in case of OoT also on my GameCube. Better graphics and some Boss Gauntlet mode are fine, but not a reason to buy a 3DS. Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Dead or Alive Dimensions? Already got older versions of these games, which are still good enough. The upcoming Mario Kart? Same old, same old. All of these are nice games, I definitely will buy most of them when I get a 3DS someday (in case of Ocarina of Time 3D I already bought the game), but they are not a reason to buy the system.

So, they better should announce some new blockbuster titles.

About Zelda, I expect to get some information about the upcoming Four Swords port. The game is scheduled to be released this month and we don't know anything about it yet. And maybe they'll announce something surprising like a singleplayer. They could also announce Majora's Mask 3D, this would get some positive press, especially when they say they did it because of fan demand. I wouldn't wonder if Grezzo immediatly started to work on this project after Ocarina of Time 3D was released. Of course like Ocarina of Time 3D the game would not be a reason to buy the 3DS, unless they really add some new content this time like a Majora's Mask Master Quest. But for a brandnew Zelda title developed for the 3DS it would be too early, I'd expect such an announcement at GDC2012 the earliest. Right now the Zelda team should be still busy with polishing Skyward Sword.

No comments: