Sunday, April 9, 2017

Breath of the Wild Adventure Log, Entry 25

Traverse Treasure Tour

Today was another of these days, where I just wandered from one point to the next without using teleportation. The guidance was the Sheikah Sensor+, where starting yesterday I decided to target treasure chests and see, what I would discover along the way. And this can keep you going and going and going...

I left off at the southern shore area, where I followed treasure chests over Faron Grasslands, Faron Woods to the Deya Village Ruins, to the Dueling Peaks Tower. I then took a raft at the Riverside Stable and followed down the river to Lake Hylia.


Lake Hylia is infested with treasure chests, so I spent a majority of the time here. Even though I've already did some salvaging in the past, there were still many chests left to discover, mainly around the Bridge of Hylia. Sometimes the Sheikah Sensor can be really confusing, especially if something is right below you. In this case there were some chests on the trim near the top of the central pillar...

Or yesterday I had some chests somewhere in the middle of a rock wall behind waterfalls in Akkala. It would be nice if the sensor sounded different, if you're standing right above the correct location. The way it is now, it can be really confusing.

Also, I had this suspicion for a while now, but some chests around the Outpost Ruins and East Post Ruins basically confirmed this for me: it seems that the contents of chests can be randomized. Some chests have fixed content, where you will always get the same weapon. Others work like amiibo chests and give you something based on your progress, where I currently keep getting Royal Bows, Royal Shields, Royal Halberds, Royal Broadswords and Royal Claymores, often with highly increased attack damage.

And I'm not sure, if I'm a fan of this system. My whole inventory is now clunked with Royal and Savage Lynel gear. The latter was of my own choosing, because I kept hunting down Silver Lynels. But otherwise it's simply the game that keeps throwing the "best" items at me. It makes a majority of the other weapons in the game obsolete. Why keep a Knight's Bow around, if you have six Royal Bows already? I only keep one Falcon Bow and one Golden Bow with me for the better distance, in case I'm gunning for one of the dragons or distant Octoroks. But for fighting I mostly use my Savage Lynel Bows and Royal Bows.

Of course this goes hand in hand with enemies becoming stronger multiple times (like the Lynels being upgraded to Silver variants everywhere). But overall I would have preferred it, if the difficulty would be more "regional", as it were in past Zelda games. Strong weapons should be a reward for exploring difficult areas, not something the games hands you, just because it's time for them.

Anyway, my tour ended with... you guessed it, returning to the Great Plateau:



I did actually climb up there, following my rule of not teleporting for today. I wanted to see, if I still missed any treasure chests around the starting area. And there was only one on the outer wall and one in the ice water.

However, a weird phenomenon occurred in the hut of the Old Man. The Sheikah Sensor+ pinpoints a treasure chest right in the middle of the hut, but there isn't anything there... My best guess is that this is a glitch, where he might leave you the Warm Doublet in a chest, if you didn't get it directly from him. And because there can be a chest there, the Sheikah Sensor targets it. Yesterday I've experienced a similar ghost chest in Hateno Village near the Dye Shop, where I couldn't find anything at all, until I gave up. As I said earlier, the Sheikah Sensor can be really confusing.

Well, I still found lots and lots of treasure chests today, as well as exactly 30 Koroks, so it was a good yield. I didn't find any new shrines, though... Maybe tomorrow.

  • Main Quests: 15/15
  • Side Quests: 71/76
  • Shrine Quests: 39/42
  • Shrines: 110/120
  • Koroks: 430/900
  • Talus: 24/40
  • Hinox: 23/40
  • Molduga: 4/4
  • Map Rate: 58.80%

No comments: