Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Goodbye, Miiverse!


Today Nintendo announced via Miiverse (oh, the irony) that Miiverse will be shut down on November 8th this year for good. Until then you will be able to download your post history including screenshots and drawings.

Overall this doesn't affect me too much personally. While I like the idea of a "social network" for Nintendo gamers, I mostly have been using it to "quickly" upload screenshots for my blog with the occasional achievement post attached to it. At least on the Wii U you can still upload pictures via the browser, while the Nintendo Switch does provide a much more comfortable screenshot sharing functionality. So, on these systems I will still be able to do, what I did the most with this feature. Not on the Nintendo 3DS, however.

For most games this isn't really a loss either, because Miiverse has been a side feature for them or completely separate. There's one title, however, where this will have a greater impact by killing one of its best features: the Tingle Bottles in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD!


This was probably one of the few titles that did a really good job with the Miiverse integration. I love collecting the Tingle Bottles and I love sharing rare Pictographs. It was very well executed and even though it has lost some of its magic, when I replayed the game earlier this year, it was still an excellent addition to the game, which now won't be available any longer.

So, if you haven't played The Wind Waker HD yet, I can only advise you to do this, as long as Miiverse is still available.

No comments: