Sunday, October 4, 2026

Nintendo Today: Majora's Mask Collectible Cards (and more)

Nintendo Today! The Legend of Zelda Collectible Cards (in Japanese)

The Breath of the Wild set of digital collectible cards in the Nintendo Today app has been completed, and they've started with a second set, this time for Majora's Mask, with a card for Skull Kid to boot. The first set had 25 cards in total, where the new one now has 20, so the third set will start on October 24th.

Anyway, collecting these cards has been going quite well for me so far, despite the technical difficulties from Nintendo's end. It truly became a small ritual to open the Nintendo Today app every single day, where I have yet to miss a single card or medal. The questions are trivial for the most part, though there is the occasional one that is a bit more tricky than the rest. For example, there was a card for the Salmon Meunière, weirdly enough, and it was asking you about the ingredients... Well, you could make an educated guess here, but I double-checked nevertheless.

There also have been some issues... In case of the Bokoblin Mask, its question had technically two correct answers, but only one of them was counting. So, Nintendo rolled out an apology, promising that the people who have picked the alleged wrong answer will get compensated and have this fixed in the future. Ironically, this had caused even worse troubles afterwards. When you wanted to get the next card, it showed you this apology and you had to confirm this in order to proceed. But depending on your operating system and settings the OK-button was potentially obscured by your navigation bar, so you couldn't hit it.

This also happened to me, where I didn't even see the OK-button at first, thinking that they are simply skipping the card collecting for the day. But then I asked around on some Nintendo fansite and was told that you should be able to dismiss it, reported the problem in the app, and eventually found a solution: turn on gesture navigation on Android, which hides the usual navigation bar at the bottom. Then I was finally able to hit "OK" and move on.

Three days later Nintendo had to apologize again... for their apology. You can't make this up. At least they have learned and made this a separate message in the app. It remains unclear how they will deal with the people who have been blocked by this issue, where there isn't really a simple and fair solution here.

Nevertheless, Nintendo is getting what they wanted out of me: I'm using their Nintendo Today app on a daily basis now. And I'm starting to like it. The animated artworks for Zelda are very beautiful and are actually the true highlight here, not the collectible cards. The cards are just an incentive not to forget to open the thing. I also really enjoy reading or viewing the daily posts.

screenshot of the app, showing a fight between Lizalfos and Peahat, and a "World of Zelda" artwork article with fiery bosses

Like, they have this ongoing series for Echoes of Wisdom, where they let two monsters battle it out and you can place your mental bets beforehand. And even though I have played this game quite a lot, it's never exactly clear who might win, so they've made some good picks. It's fun to watch and some excellent advertisement for what's one of the most underrated Zelda games out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment