Saturday, November 2, 2019

Link's Awakening Remake: Fishing Discoveries

the fishing pond with all five different types of fish available

Again, I've spent a little bit more time with the remake of Link's Awakening, where today I had some extensive fishing sessions. I kept fishing for a while without ever leaving the pond and was positively surprised about the respawn behavior.

The biggest insight should be that the above screenshot was taken from a pond, which didn't have the glowing circle initially, so it started with only the two regular types of fish. But once you've caught those, new fish will appear, which can include the three special fish. So, even without the blue light you can get all types of fish eventually.

There are five different spots in the pond: one at the top, one at the bottom and three at the middle. And they all will be replenished after a short while, where the type of fish depends on the spot.

This also means that you don't ever have to leave the pond to get everything done in this mini-game. You can just keep fishing, until you got everything of importance. It still might be faster to leave the pond and check until you get the fish that you want, but it's not necessary, which is a big improvement over all the previous fishing mini-games in Zelda, especially Majora's Mask 3D.

The second big insight had to do with the Blooper, where I found out that it can also appear directly below you:

the fishing pond with all five types of fish and the Blooper right below Link

Any fish that appears there, no matter what size, can be caught within a single second. This also works for the Blooper, so if you're having any trouble catching one, just wait until it appears in the spot right below you.

Link catching a Blooper

While I had my troubles with this mini-game during my first time playing the remake, I now have to say that I'm enjoying it as much as I thought I would before the game was released. And overall GREZZO did a really good job with the mini-games in Link's Awakening.

No comments: