Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Min Min Released



The first fighter of the second Fighters Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has just been released today: Min Min. And it's certainly my favorite DLC for this game so far.

The Spring Stadium stage is awesome and a lot of fun with its jump pads. At least when you keep stage hazards on, where I can't stress enough how important a hazard toggle on the stage select screen would be. I don't get why Sakurai's team hasn't implemented this yet, it would make things a lot more comfortable and simpler than switching between all those rule sets.

Anyway, if you go to the stage select screen in a rule set, you can see how the whole thing expands by one row. That adds a total of 10 more possible stages and I really hope they are going to use them for more than just the five remaining Challenger Packs. Some more new or returning stages would be awesome.

The music selection for ARMS is also great, as expected. I don't think there ever has been a stage in the game, where I want almost every song to play, like in this case. Great soundtrack, it's good to have this all in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Now, as for the fighter... Min Min certainly takes some getting used to. I actually had to change my controls a bit, so I could make good use of her Multi Smash Attacks when pressing both the Attack and Special button at the same time.

As expected, she can be quite vulnerable at mid range and even close combat, where she doesn't seem to stand a chance against my current main, Zero Suit Samus, who plays similarly with her dive kick and whip (just not with the insane range), but can also get in your face. If you use Min Min from a distance, however, especially during edge guards, she's a beast and a force to be reckoned with. The AI seems to have a lot of trouble to handle her, where you can use her for some easy wins.

Min Min is a very unique character and I can see there being some pros, who make good use of her. And I will definitely keep playing as her, maybe even as a secondary (next to female Corrin, who got some good buffs in the 8.0.0 update), if I can make her work for myself. She's especially fun in group or team fights, where it's easier to keep your distance and snipe people.

Her Classic Mode Route has also some fun references, starting with fights against the Sping Man and Ribbon Girl Mii Boxers. I also like how they've used Min Min's original four skins from ARMS, though the additional alts feel a little bit uninspired, but the black / last one looks certainly very cool.

And I love that Ribbon Girl sings the victory theme. Together with the stage and all the music, this is some good overall ARMS representation, where I'm very happy with this DLC.

No comments: