Monday, July 20, 2020

Cadence of Hyrule: DLC and Physical Edition Announced

Box art for the game, available October 23rd


So, we really did get a Nintendo Direct today... probably just not what most Nintendo fans were hoping for. The first "Partner Showcase" focused on a few 3rd party announcements and surprisingly there was still something in here with relevancy for this blog: Cadence of Hyrule.

Cadence of Hyrule is probably the first Zelda-related title ever (minus the ones on CDi) that doesn't really have my attention, so I would have never come up with predictions for this. I've tried the game once, but I didn't like it enough that it can't wait until I have my own Nintendo Switch one day. And it's probably a good thing that I haven't invested in this game yet, now that it is getting a physical edition later this year, which also includes all the upcoming DLC. I'll certainly get this one.

The DLC is split into three packs:

  • Character Pack: Adds Impa, Shadow Link, Shadow Zelda, Aria and Frederick as playable characters.
  • Melody Pack: Adds 39 Songs.
  • Symphony of the Mask: Adds a new story chapter where you play as Skull Kid, who uses different masks.

This all sounds quite good, especially the Skull Kid story mode looked interesting, where the different playable characters give me small Hyrule Warriors vibes, which is a good thing. Impa even uses a Naginata here, which she so far only did in Hyrule Warriors. So, there was definitely some inspiration taken from Koei Tecmo's Zelda project.

Artwork and screenshot of Impa in Cadence of Hyrule


And it will be nice to have it all on one cartridge. The physical edition launces October 23rd, which is probably the same time when the third DLC Pack gets released.

The Character Pack will be available today and the rest gets released until the end of October. And as usual for Nintendo DLCs, this will also come with a Season Pass, where you get bonus costumes for Link and Zelda if you buy the whole thing. It's unclear whether the physical edition will include these costumes or not, but it probably does, since it's stated to come with the Season Pass.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been a Zelda fan for all my life. And I also tried out Crypt of the Necrodancer and can generally recommend it. Cadence of Hyrule is nice enough, there's just not much content. After about 10 hours I had collected and seen everything. I'm not going to spend more money on some songs and bonus content. But I can still recommend the game for fans of the genre and the physical edition may very well be worth its price.