Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Tears of the Kingdom – Ganondorf and Zelda amiibo Announced

amiibo Ganondorf

When the Tears of the Kingdom segment of the recent Nintendo Direct started, I was concerned for a moment, because I wasn't ready for some big news yet. Luckily, this was only about the two upcoming amiibo figures, where it's good to have them confirmed officially.

It didn't come as a surprise, because we already knew about two additional Paraglider fabrics, which can be found in the game's code. This isn't even the first time that this happened, where Breath of the Wild came with items for the Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword Link amiibo, before they were officially announced in a Nintendo Direct, one month after the release of the game, on April 13th 2017. So, history is simply repeating itself here.

You can take a look at the the fabrics on Eurogamer and the one from Zelda looks quite nice, but I'm not a fan of the Gerudo King Fabric. It might be the other way around with the figurines, where it's great to finally have a Ganondorf figurine as part of the Zelda line (the existing one was for Super Smash Bros.), while I'm not entirely sold on the ghostly Zelda yet:

amiibo Zelda

Now, I definitely like that they are going with her Zonai outfit here – I would have preferred the same for the Link amiibo, even if that would be like making an amiibo of Link in the Old Shirt and Well-Worn Trousers from Breath of the Wild. So, I get why they went with the Champion's Leathers, but the early game design is still cooler.

Now, the artwork they chose for Zelda looks a bit off, because her expression is so empty. I hadn't even seen this artwork before and I haven't encountered Zelda like this in the game yet, where this might be a bit of a spoiler, but it makes me more curious than anything. Luckily, the figurine itself doesn't appear as "soulless" and having the Master Sword in this weird state certainly adds more value over just Zelda in this dress.

These amiibo aren't planned before winter, which strikes me as odd, because by that point I would have expected a third wave with amiibo of the sage descendants. An amiibo of Sidon would sell like hot cakes, let's face it...

No comments: