Saturday, October 28, 2023

Manbo's Mambo in Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Blue Toad as a Wubba

Today I've been playing the fifth world of Super Mario Bros. Wonder, the Fungi Mines, where you can turn into a "Wubba", a slime-like creature that can stick to walls and ceilings, via the Wonder Flowers. And the music that plays during this part (and some other wonder transformations) felt strangely familiar...

I first thought that it might be a reference to some melody in Super Mario Land 2, since the goo in these levels behaves quite similar to the sap found in the second level of the Tree Zone. That wasn't it, but I wasn't too far off when thinking about Game Boy classics...

Manbo in his cave

It's actually a part of Manbo's Mambo. It doesn't have the "Manbo Manbo" bit and it's extended, but the main melody is the same. You can listen to it here for comparisons. I'm not imagining this, right?

There are many things from the Super Mario games present in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, so it was about time that a Super Mario game referenced what's one of my absolute favorite Zelda games for a change. Of course it might also be that Manbo's Mambo was originally something from Super Mario as well, but not that I'm aware of... In any case, this tune really has me going!

1 comment: