Thursday, June 12, 2008

DM-1on1-Neglect

Just look, what I've found. After I released my old Ocean King Temple guide here, I thought, I could show you another piece of my old work. And this one is definitely old, it's an Unreal Tournament map, I've made in the year 2003. I really love the original UT, I loved to play it and I loved the cool editor, that was shipped with the game. So, I've created some maps. And this here is my best one.

I've also tried to create maps for UT2003 and UT2004, but I've been as satisfied with them as with the games theirselves, not very much. The original Unreal Tournament is still the best, if you ask me, along with the original Unreal. The whole style, the sounds, the music, the gameplay... it was perfect. UT2004 didn't live up to that, the game was awfully colorful and tawdry, the weapons were too weak and most of the maps were lacking gameplay. UT3 however, looks okay, but at the moment I only own a 3 year old notebook, which isn't actually the best choice to play games like that, as you can tell. But maybe in one or two years I try myself again in mapping, you'll never know.

Back to topic, DM-1on1-Neglect is set in an old, neglected industrial facility. I really payed attention to the atmosphere of the map, you don't need next generation graphics to produce that, an important factor are the sounds. The wood floors are creaking, the wind is blowing, I just love that. It's one of the things I really like in Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask for example, too. And it's something, I absolutely miss in modern games like Twilight Princess. So, in case you have still the original Unreal Tournament installed on your computer, like I do, go check it out.

Download.

For installing just unzip the file DM-1on1-Neglect.unr to the UnrealTournament/Maps folder.

No comments: