Friday, December 14, 2018

Got Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Limited Edition


I would say Christmas came early this year, but in fact it came a week too late...


Look at that, I finally got my own copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate today with the European Limited Edition. Why today and not one week ago like the rest of the world? Well, Amazon really screwed up here. Despite pre-ordering this in August with my Prime membership, they decided to send the item on release day with slow shipping in a gigantic box, which took forever and some detours before it could arrive in my home...

But it's finally here and overall a very nice item to have, so it was worth the wait. It comes with the game (duh), a GameCube controller adapter (which I didn't have yet) and a GameCube controller:


It's also a very shiny box overall, but there's one big downside here: they didn't update it with Ken and Incineroar. They are not on the mural and with the portrait collections on the inside and the backside of the box they leave these little "box theory" holes in the corners. Did Nintendo really produce this so early, they couldn't put the final characters on the box? The North American Special Edition with the Pro Controller did get updated properly, so why not this? It's a shame.

On the bright side, the game case that comes with the Limited Edition doesn't have any age ratings and therefore looks much nicer than what you normally find on the shelves. Here's a comparison between the Limited Edition (on the left) and the normal retail game (on the right), which I borrowed from someone together with a Nintendo Switch:


The logo is nicely centered and you actually get Yoshi on the box... It's much better.

However, on the inside and the backside they have actually one big difference, where the normal version is better: Ken and Incineroar. That's right, they are missing on the case of the Limited Edition as well. It's like they produced this way too early, while the normal edition got produced right on time.

Anyway, as you can see in the first picture, I also got the Smash Edition Pro Controller, which is good to have as well, I like it a lot. The Switch has even this nice touch, where it shows you this controller with the white handles in the menus. I prefer using this one over the GameCube controller, so buying the Limited Edition on top wasn't a necessity for me. But it's good to have another GameCube controller available for my old GameCube and I know people, who prefer to play with this controller, so it's good to finally have the adapter.

And I also got the Ridley amiibo - twice, because I was worried I wouldn't get one, so I pre-ordered two of them at different places. It turned that this was completely unnecessary, because you can find them easily in stores. But you never know with amiibo.

No comments: