Thursday, January 31, 2019

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Piranha Plant Released


So, the 2.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came out yesterday and we indeed did get the Piranha Plant as part of the update already. There won't be a Nintendo Direct this week, however, but then again the Piranha Plant already got introduced in the Super Smash Bros. Direct in November. At this point, I wouldn't expect a Direct before Joker is ready to be revealed in playable form, which still might take some time.

The Piranha Plant itself is fun, though maybe a little awkward to play, where it has several Special Moves, where you can alter the direction of the attack during the execution. Especially the Neutral Special takes some time to get used to it. It probably won't become one of my mains, but it's certainly a very unique fighter on the roster.

By the way, the Piranha Plant also guest-starred in the Zelda series alongside other Mario enemies in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Since this was my first Zelda game and I came from the Super Mario Land games, it was completely normal to have these enemies in Zelda... So, the Plant is really everywhere.

Otherwise version 2.0.0 introduced the ability to get exclusive Spirits from the Spirit Board and Shop and the ability to short hop by pressing two jump buttons. I welcome both of it quite a lot. Since I don't have the game yet myself, I would have missed quite a few Spirits otherwise, and I do have issues getting short hops done normally in Ultimate. I would prefer a more intuitive solution, where the duration of the button press determines the height of the jump, but I take what I can get.

No comments: