Friday, December 18, 2020

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Sephiroth Released

Shirtless Sephiroth

Officially the next Challenger Pack won't be available for download until December 23rd, but the update 10.0.0 is already there and you can play the "Sephiroth Challenge" to unlock the fighter and stage ahead of time.

Since you can do this on "Easy", they might as well could have released the fighter today. And even if it were restricted to "Very Hard", it wouldn't be much of a problem for owners of the Fighters Pass, because you can simply min min the guy into oblivion. I did it on my second try and later even managed to beat him fairly quickly:

Very Hard done in 16 seconds
 

So, there he is: big, evil dude with long hair and long katana. It's no character for me, but something tells me that I'll have to play against (shirtless) him quite often... The range is very respectable, where I'm curently struggling a tiny a bit as Zero Suit Samus, but he is no match for my other Main Main, as you can see above.

Sephiroth's Classic Mode is pretty awesome, where he basically gets a boss rush mode. I still feel like this should be a Stadium mode like in Brawl, since here you are restricted to a single character in single-player. But it's certainly one of the coolest routes for Classic Mode so far.

The "Northern Cave" stage doesn't have any hazards, where it's like a smaller version of Kalos Pokémon League with hazards off and could potentially become tournament legal. The background is quite busy and distracting, however, where it's even worse than in Final Destination at times. In certain areas the stage also gets quite dark, making things even harder to see. So, I personally hope the stage will be banned, like any DLC stage so far, but it's not like I'm playing that much competitive Smash these days.

Anyway, I'm more excited about some other character with a big sword, who I've just unlocked in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, so I'll be moving on here for now.


Ge-no

It was probably good how yesterday's presentation started with the Mii outfits right away, because this got Geno out of the way. I have to admit that there was a time where I felt like Geno would be a possibility, solely because of all the support he has gotten ever since Sakurai mentioned that he would like to add the puppet during the Brawl days, maybe even before that.

When Geno's Mii outfit got introduced for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, it even got a splash screen like any new fighter. But while Geno fans might see this as a confirmation of how "important" this character is, I personally see this as the end of the line for him. This is as good as it gets for certain characters.

You have to consider that legends like Dixie Kong or Bomber Man are also only playable as Miis right now in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and I'd say that they are somewhat more important than someone from a single spin-off game, which originally didn't even make it to Europe. No matter how great this spin-off might have been, it's just a very obscure choice. Even in the Mario realm there are still more important fish to fry, like Captain Toad(ette), King Boo, Kamek or Waluigi.

It's not that I'm totally against adding Geno, it's just not the right time. It would be like adding Linkle from Hyrule Warriors now, when other Zelda characters like Midna or Skull Kid are still stuck in Assist Trophy hell. Linkle would be cool, but still a rather questionable choice.

That being said, they could have upgraded the costume with his actual face and maybe also add the "Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms" music track he's known for, which got even used for the presentation. That would have been really nice.

Anyway, from the DLC Mii costumes that originally were released for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, only Llyod Irving and the Monster Hunter stuff remains. I think Lloyd will most likely be re-released alongside something that fits somewhat, e.g. Rex, similar to how Heihachi got sold alongside Min Min, while the Monster Hunter outfits will probably come with a Monster Hunter Challenger Pack.


My Music

Sakurai also showed that they fixed the issue from version 8.1.0, where the random music on the Battlefield stages and Final Destination now always pull from the My Music lists of all stages. There's now a toggle, where you go by all stages or use your My Music list for the stage only.

However, I don't have this option yet... Maybe I need to unlock all music first or something, maybe this is supposed to show up in a later update, I don't know... (Update: we're getting version 10.1.0 on December 23rd.)

And while it is really considerate that they've changed this, it's now over two years that I've been waiting for them to include a stage hazard toggle on the stage select screen or that the game remembers my last choice of fighter in Smash mode... How hard can it be?

No comments: