Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Game Awards 2020: Smash Reveal Confirmed

Smash invite envelope 

Well, there it is. Nintendo has just confirmed on Twitter that they will announce the next fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tonight at The Game Awards, so there is already one good reason to maybe watch the show. Or sleep and watch the highlights the next morning, if you're living in Europe.

But the hype is on! I've already talked a little bit about this in my previous post, but it's probably going to be another 3rd party guest, if they chose this place for announcing the next Challenger. If it were another 1st party addition, like Byleth, they probably wouldn't do this, but this depends on the character of course, so it's not impossible.

Anyway, the most meaningful candidate for the show and me personally would certainly be the Doom Slayer. Doom Eternal is one of the nominees in 2020 and has just arrived on Nintendo Switch. And I've been playing a lot of Quake Champions this year, where the Doom Slayer is one of the playable Champions and his addition to Smash would also represent one of my favorite computer game genres: Arena Shooters.

But the reveal doesn't necessarily have to be related to anything on the show and I'm already very satisfied with what the DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had to offer in 2020. I liked the idea of adding Byleth, because Three Houses seems like a really good Nintendo Switch title and we need more of those represented in Smash, while both ARMS and Minecraft were my most wanted additions for Smash, so I'm really happy with the last three Challenger Packs.

Otherwise I'm currently rooting for the Champions from Breath of the Wild, since they grew on me quite a lot thanks to Age of Calamity. But this is a topic of its own and the Champions would be an "all or nothing" deal, where they are all equally important. Only adding one of Mipha, Daruk, Revali or Urbosa would just feel wrong...

As for The Game Awards, other than the Doom Slayer, I still see Agnés Oblige, Ryu Hayabusa and a Monster Hunter as the likeliest candidates for 3rd party additions at this moment, but naturally it could really be anyone, as long as it's a video game character...

I'm still somewhat leaning towards Agnés, mostly because Bravely Default II got announced at last year's The Game Awards and will come out soon, but that is more of a gut feeling. Well, we'll be smarter in a couple of hours!

No comments: