Thursday, March 25, 2021

Maining the Master Cycle Zero

 ... in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

So, what to do with a new Nintendo Switch, now what I've completed Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity? Playing all those good Wii U games again, of course, where I'm busy with Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, as well as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Well, both of these titles can be played together with someone else, so that's always good, and they also offer something new over their Wii U counterparts, which is certainly nice to have.

 

And other than the new Battle Mode, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got a couple of new drivers and karts, which includes Link and the Master Cycle Zero from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And for completing the game I decided to primarily use this bike and character. So, no Waluigi and Wild Wiggler for me.

I already liked the Master Cycle Zero quite a lot when it got released via a free update in 2018, because it comes with an outward drift, instead of an inward drift like the original Master Cycle. While I preferred bikes in Mario Kart Wii, like pretty much everyone, I really don't like the behavior and camera for most of them in this game. But the Master Cycle Zero drives more like your typical kart, so this is great.

To be fair, I didn't go with the full setup all the time. I use the Paraglider, but I like to change the tires to something else. However, my favorite wheels, the "Hot Monster", didn't unlock for me yet, while I'm already done with three-staring all the cups in all the modes... Which was kind of frustrating, but this game loves to frustrate you anyway.

For example the bots are clearly cheating in 200cc, where they can take even the sharpest turns at full speed. Luckily, they aren't as good with dodging obstacles, which may give you an advantage after all, where you will need it, because with bots it's like you're playing alone against a whole team. Everyone is against you... And then there's the whole star system, which makes playing cups simply not fun, because it forces you to rank 1st place every single time, like some Michael Schumacher. Though, at least it doesn't ask you of utmost perfection any longer, like it did in Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii.

In 200c I also dropped Link for Dry Bones at first, who is new in the Deluxe version as well, because I certainly prefer driving as a light weight character in that mode for the reduced speed. Less speed and more acceleration is actually a good thing here, or so I thought at first, because with some of the cups having more weight made things actually easier, where I personally like one of the metal characters best. And instead of taking away the speed from your stats, it's better to sometimes avoid the things in 200cc that make you go too fast in the first place, like stunts or even mini-turbos (you can quickly let go of gas to avoid them).

But despite some experimentation, I stuck with the Master Cycle Zero and will continue using it in the future, because I love this bike. It may not be the optimal Waluigi Wild Wiggler meta, but I personally prefer to find a compromise between what characters and carts appeal to me and what characters and carts work well.

No comments: