Wednesday, September 7, 2022

2nd Haul of My Nintendo Store Rewards

photo of Age of Calamity notepad and Metroid Dread pins

This came with the post today. Well, the Nintendo Switch Card Case was from the last time, I only put it on the photo as a size reference. So, what I got was the Metroid Dread pin set, as well as the notepad based on Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. These are two of my favorite Nintendo Switch games, where I simply wanted the extra (free) merchandise for them.

The items aren't that nice, however, where I liked my last haul much more. The pins are very tiny, where they are truly meant to be put on clothing as a detail, but I would never do that, because this puts holes in the fabric and having the metal end under your clothes is annoying. I guess I would have preferred some larger magnets or something, but it is what it is and there isn't much official merchandise around Metroid Dread available anyway...

The notebook is fine. The cover has a nice relief to it and each page has this special print on them:

inside of the notepad

It's still just a simple A5 notepad, though, with a cardboard backside. But since it looks so nice, I probably will never write on it. It's the curse of such merchandise – I want to have it around, but I don't want to use it, because it's too "precious".

You seemingly can order more now, however, in case you really want to use up that fine pad. You can only get one item per order, but you can make multiple orders with the same item as long as you have enough Platinum Points left. I also can get a second of the Nintendo Switch Card Case 8 again if I ever need one, which is really good. Given that it will be back in stock someday...

And the whole ordering process is now much better than it used to be one year ago thanks to the updated My Nintendo Store. You can now purchase the My Nintendo Rewards directly with your Platinum Points, so you don't need a code any longer, where you were only able to redeem a single code per order. I had to pay for shipping thrice last year, which was ridiculous. Now I was able to do a single order with the two items, where I only had to pay 2,99€ for shipping once and they have delivered it all in one package. As it should be.

You can now also use PayPal, which makes things more convenient and should give a lot more Nintendo fans in Germany (and other countries where credit cards aren't that common) the opportunity to buy something. Though, I've heard that pre-orders still require a credit card, but I personally don't mind that any longer.

So, while the items aren't as great as last time, the whole "shopping experience" was a lot simpler and more satisfying. It's just too bad that a lot of the more interesting items, like the Super Nintendo controllers, are constantly sold out. And my favorite of the My Nintendo Rewards, the Card Case 8, is also currently not available, as already mentioned.

Still, together with the Nintendo Switch user icons, where I try to collect most of them, I was rarely so low on Platinum Points as I am now. It's good to finally have multiple useful uses for them.

No comments: