Sunday, October 30, 2022

Got Bayonetta 3: Trinity Masquerade Edition

main box

We interrupt the current Hollow Knight program to show off some more merchandise, specifically the recently released "Trinity Masquerade Edition" of Bayonetta 3, which came out two days ago. And it's one of my favorite Collector's Editions for the Nintendo Switch so far, even though it's not perfect.

cover boxes, steelbook

It came with the game and a clean cover, an artbook, as well as a box with alternative covers for all three Bayonetta games. There is even a blank Nintendo Switch card case attached, which you can use for one of the games. This seems a bit pointless, because why would you use this for just one of the games, but not the others?

The steelbook in the above photo was actually not part of the Trinity Masquerade Edition, but an extra that you could from various stores. Ideally, this would have been part of the edition to make things simpler. Like, Amazon Germany did not deliver the steelbook, despite them having it in the article name, which is a shame for everyone who pre-ordered it there.

alternate cover sheets

I suppose, the steelbook didn't really fit the overall idea of swapping covers. And I really this idea, but the execution is a bit sloppy. There is nothing on the inside, it's just white, and the games' titles will end up on the back of the box. Which is weird...

And then there's the fact that you need the other Bayonetta games on Nintendo Switch in the first place. The My Nintendo Store in Germany had the physical version of Bayonetta up for like five minutes, before it was sold out. They will do another round, but I doubt that it will last much longer, where it's just ridiculous that Nintendo refuses to meet the demand and makes their products artificially scarce like that.

I could import it, where other regions seem to have handled this a bit better, but this would still leave Bayonetta 2, which is hard to find today as well and comes with the first Bayonetta as a download, which I don't need, nor want. Well, it doesn't really matter if you are going to use the alternate covers, but I would prefer to have a normal version as well.

So, for now I will stick to my copies for the Wii U. I have played into all three games, but never got all too far. I love the over-the-top action and the staging, and Bayonetta is absolutely awesome as a character, but the gameplay is a bit "meh" for my taste. But let's see, I was having fun with the beginning of Bayonetta 3, so I will probably keep playing this for now.

The art of Bayonetta 3

Anyway, the Trinity Masquerade Edition also came with an artbook, which is always nice to have. It's softcover, but quite heavy and has some fantastic concept art in it. More of the usual, but I like collecting these, the same with the steelbooks.

No comments: