Monday, October 31, 2022

Halloween at Hallownest

the knight and Hornet in front of a shrine surrounded by candles and dark cobwebs

Ahem... Originally, I was going to call this "Holloween", but then I googled the term and I don't want any wrong associations here... Too bad, I thought it was an excellent pun. But alliterations are always great, too.

Now, the Hollow Knight special on Hyrule Blog will come to an end. I'm not done with the game yet, where I'm still only about a third through Godmaster and I'm not even sure I will ever complete all of Godhome. It's nice to get back and do some boss battles every now and then, however. I'm also in the middle of my second Hollow Knight playthrough, where I'm going for the opposite choices. And in the future I might give a "speedrun" a try and maybe even Steel Soul Mode. Well, probably not the latter.

But I think I've covered everything I wanted to say for now... And I can't overstate how much I like the game. It's top 5 of all time material. Not only does it the whole Metroidvania thing on a level of pure excellence, it infused it with some elements from the Zelda series to make it truly special. So, if you enjoy Zelda and Metroid, which you probably do when you're reading this particular blog, then I can only advise you to play Hollow Knight, if you haven't already.

And I know... You have probably heard this before and dismissed it several times. How good can the game really be, right? Well, let me tell you that it absolutely is. And I also know that its challenges can be daunting, where it feels like a game best avoided by completionists. This is even what stopped me from getting into Hollow Knight until now, especially the Path of Pain. However, the game is made in a way where it challenges you, but also keeps the motivation up. It's not the most difficult game at its core and it eases you into the more challenging stuff, where you might be even up for it when it comes to it.

Hollow Knight: Silksong also quickly became my second most anticipated game, right after Tears of the Kingdom. At least the wait won't be as long for myself as it already was for many Hollow Knight fans out there and I have still enough to do with the first game until then.

Anyway, I like the game so much that I even made some Hollow Knight decorations for today:

photo of printed paper masks of the knight, Hornet, and Zote
Happy Halloween!

No comments: