Friday, January 13, 2023

Death's Door: Double-Dip

Two are better than one. Or at least that's what they say. After I had really enjoyed playing Death's Door on my PC about a year ago, I decided to grab the physical copy of the game for Nintendo Switch, when there was a limited offer by Special Reserve Games. Well, I liked the game so much that I ended up getting two of them:

"The Art of Death's Door" artbook and two Nintendo Switch card boxes with different cover arts

At first I only wanted to get the normal version (to the left), but then I saw that they also had an offer for the artbook, which was cheaper when combined with the Collector's Edition, so I decided to get this instead. However, you couldn't cancel any pre-orders, so that's how I ended up two copies. The front, back, and the inside of the covers are actually different, however, so that's nice, where I was originally just getting this for my collection anyway.

On a side note, I was also not able to combine the orders to save on the expensive shipping and international taxes. I had to pay everything twice. And then Special Reserve games sent both shipments without taking care of the taxes, even though I paid them in advance for it, where I had to contact customer service to get the money back. So, the shopping experience wasn't the best. (Things were a lot cheaper and smoother with Limited Run Games for me, where I've gotten the Turok games and Quake for Nintendo Switch.)

And when everything arrived in June, Devolver Digital announced that they would release a physical copy of the game in Europe as well, both as a normal retail version and an "Ultimate Edition". Imagine my satisfaction at that time after going through quite some trouble with this import from the US, since at first this seemed like an exclusive deal with Special Reserve Games.

At least, the Ultimate Edition wasn't so ultimate after all, where the artbook is more of an artbooklet. The version from Special Reserve Games is about twice the size and comes with a hardcover. The game case also looks much better by default without the giant USK logo on it and it all has a higher quality feel to it. So, I'm happy with what I got in the end, but the whole thing still felt like a scam at first.

Anyway, it's not just for show, where I've decided to actually replay the game on Nintendo Switch, which I will discuss in the next post.

No comments: