Friday, March 12, 2010

Twilight Princess Collector's Guide

I recently purchased the Prima Collector's Guide of Spirit Tracks to complete my collection of these guides and I thought I could at least show something about them on my little blog.

Well, here we go. First one is Twilight Princess. The best thing about those guides is the awesome looking hardcover. It's probably the only reason, why I got them, they just look nice.



The sites of the pages are golden, which looks awesome too. It also came with a cool cloth map, but sadly it's the mirrored version. Of course it has to be the mirrored version, since the Wii version is the one that sold. There was also a guide for the Gamecube version, but no Collector's Edition.



I never bothered much about the content, since I bought all three guides after I've fully beaten the games. Even if I would need a guide, there are much better guides online for free. So, this is a pure collection thingy. So, I only skipped through the guide, but even that way I noticed some flaws.

First of all, it doesn't have an index. So, if you're looking for something specific, you have no chance of actually finding it without browsing through entire parts of the guide. You have to know, WHEN a certain thing is first available in the game or else it will be very difficult to find it in the 450 pages. For example I wanted to check the information about the fishing pond, but couldn't find it, because it wasn't after the Water Temple part and not before the Snowpeak Ruins quest... so, where the hell is it? :D

The screenshot quality is very bad. Period.

The "legendary checklists" are everything but legendary. I've heard that there are some treasure chests and bombable rocks missing, but I didn't bother to find out which ones. But the missing dig caverns are very obvious, they only have like half of them. Especially the ones, where you can fish are missing. You can easily see this on the cloth map above, for example they don't have the dig caverns on the horse battlefield in Eldin Province. With that they only have a small part of all the fishing locations in the game. Also, while they have a proud list of all the junk, that you can fish, they apparently didn't know, that you also can fish Bomb Fishs and that this will give you an additional Water Bomb. And they missed some of the rare Chuchus as well.

These are the things I noticed, but I'm pretty sure that there are much more. You see people frowning upon the content of these guides all the time. I didn't really took the time to check the actual walkthroughs, so I can't say anything about the quality here. Nonetheless it's a nice collectible item with its hardcover and the cloth map.

Next up will be the Phantom Hourglass guide.

No comments: