Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Return to Kirby's Epic Yarn


Eight years ago I rented and almost completed a copy of Kirby's Epic Yarn for the Wii. This Friday the game is coming to Nintendo 3DS, where I personally didn't like the demo as much. The new "Devilish Mode" seems rather annoying and the game doesn't actually feature 3D effects. With exceptions like Hyrule Warriors: Legends, I usually enjoy my 3DS games in 3D, so not even having the option is a big no-go.

And that's why I decided to finally add the Wii game to my gaming collection instead and complete it for good. Why am I telling you all this? Well, back then this blog featured a small review of Kirby's Epic Yarn, where now I'm inclined to go back and clear some things up.

While apparently the main game was quite easy and only took me one weekend to complete, I didn't get all the fabrics from the minigames. And it turns out that these levels can be quite challenging, where it probably took me about as long as the rest of the game. Some of the missions are outright frustrating and leave little to no room for error, where completing the fabric collection wasn't much fun overall.

I've also tried to play some of it in multiplayer, but for the minigames the multiplayer wasn't always as great as originally thought. There are levels, especially those where you have to collect a number of Beads or where you have to transport Carrie, that are certainly easier in multiplayer, because you can do twice as much in the same time.

But then there are missions where you just keep getting into each others' way. It's easy to accidentally grab the other player instead of an enemy or something in the environment. It's also a problem when the players get too far away from each other, because then the game drags one of the players to the other and often not to your advantage.

But of course this won't be a concern with the 3DS version, because it doesn't even have multiplayer. Instead it features hats with abilities like in other Kirby games. The 3DS version will have more fabrics to collect and together with the annoying Devilish Mode, I will stay away from that game as a completionist.

No comments: