Tuesday, December 24, 2019

33 / 22 / 11

Sometimes there is a certain poetry to how time progresses. I was born the same year as the Zelda series, in 1986, 33 years ago. 11 years later, on Christmas Eve 1997, exactly 22 years ago, I got my first Zelda game. It was The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the GameBoy, as the Nintendo Classics edition, this one:


I wished for this game as a Christmas present, after it had really fascinated me in a Club Nintendo article in 1997, and it has made me a Zelda fan for life. You can read all about my journey in my 20th Anniversary article from two years ago, which spans the following 11 years.

In 2008, 11 years ago and 11 years after my first Zelda game, is when I've opened this blog, which has been a part of my life as Zelda fan ever since. And it's only fitting that now, after 11 more years, the remake of my first Zelda game has been released for Nintendo Switch, as if it were to close a circle.

Link in front of the Town Tool Shop

2019 truly has been the year of repdigits for me: 33 years alive, 22 years as a Zelda fan and 11 years of Hyrule Blog. And all of this brings back a lot of good memories. Maybe today, some child will find The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening under the Christmas tree, which will start a cycle of its own.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Pretty fascinating, considering my own Zelda journey started in... 2015. That's what happens when your parents won't let you have Nintendo consoles. :/ I had been aware of Zelda since early childhood, but could never play any of the games until I finally bought a 3DS at age 23 and A Link Between Worlds two years later on a whim. Better late than never, right? ^^

Merry Christmas to you too mate.