Friday, July 16, 2021

Got Skyward Sword HD

a photo of the steelbook, the game, the Zelda and Loftwing amiibo, as well as the new Joy-cons and their packaging

Yes, I'm part of the problem. But I'm a collector, who doesn't want to miss out on anything Zelda, so I can't help it and Nintendo gets their money. It's still the most lackluster of the 3D Zelda remasters so far, which costs full price nonetheless and locks one of its important improvements behind the amiibo. The fancy Joy-Cons will only provide you with "joy" for so long, until they start drifting eventually. And good luck with getting those replaced.

It's not Nintendo at its finest, but it's still Nintendo and it's still Zelda, where it's hard to boycott or ignore. As a fan, you still like to have all these things, despite their flaws. The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo might even see some better usage in the upcoming sequel to Breath of the Wild, where you could get some nice cosmetics out of it. And I will use these Joy-Cons sparingly, so they hopefully will last....

a photo with a different arrangement of the above items, showing the insides of the boxes

It also would have been nice to get a Limited Edition or something that has all these items in one package, where instead you had to hunt for three individual collectibles. The steelbook was a pre-order bonus at certain retailers, similar to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury earlier this year (see here), but luckily I got this in time this time, so I can already try the remaster myself later today.

The amiibo is actually quite small – with the price point of 25€ I expected it to be significantly larger. It was even more expensive than the Breath of the Wild Guardian, after all, but it's hardly any larger than Twisted Sword Link:

the two Skyward Sword amiibo right next to each other... the Loftwing is larger than Link, but Link is about 20% larger than Zelda

This guy isn't even supported by the game, what a shame. I don't get why Nintendo didn't went with a simple treasure system, similar to Breath of the Wild. They could have even thrown some new Medals in there, where the Medal from Zelda and her Loftwing could equip your Loftwing with two additional blue wings for more stamina. But nah, let's lock the new teleportation system behind the figurine, because Nintendo. Still, it's a very pretty figurine, I give them that.

Anyway, with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield Joy-Cons this is the closest I'll get to a Zelda Edition Nintendo Switch for now:

It looks better than I thought it would. If you're wondering about the Nintendo Switch Dock sleeve, I got this one from Active Patch. It saves your system from scratches and goes quite well with those new Joy-Cons.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Still waiting for mine. I didn't get any of the collectable stuff, but decided to take the plunge for the game after all. I don't agree with pricing it at full cost, but Skyward Sword without Fii being annoying ever 5 seconds is just too good to pass up.

~Tim

Raul said...

In hindsight I'm surprised the Skyward Sword Link amiibo doesn't have him holding the goddess sword.Also the Sheikah light in the last picture looks cool.

Marandahir said...

So it's not just my Skyward Sword Link whose Master Sword is bent?

Good to know…