Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Tears of the Kingdom – Avoiding the Preview Phase

Link getting surrounded by Moblins

Rumors have it that Nintendo had invited the big shots of the European gaming media to their headquarters in Frankfurt, for a certain event that took place about a certain game that may or may not release in May this year. So, this will very likely mean that we're going to see previews for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom soon, today at 3PM CEST to be exact. (A German gaming show that I like to watch, the Game Talk, was postponed this week to this date for this very reason.)

Well, this was inevitable. And to be fair, Nintendo has kept the game very close to their chest, where it will already release in two weeks and two days. This won't give professional reviewers much time, even if they receive their review copies as early as tomorrow... But on a Nintendo press event they will be playing an early part of the game, most likely the tutorial phase, in a controlled environment, where they will probably be allowed to show like ten minutes of footage or so.

This is the end of the line for me. With Breath of the Wild they kept showing us every single detail of the Great Plateau, which was fine, because it was a completely new Zelda experience and everyone wanted to know how it plays. But I'm personally very excited that we don't know exactly how the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom will look like. We have a rough understanding based on what Nintendo has said and what they have shown so far, but we haven't really seen it ourselves yet, which could change in a couple of hours via potential previews.

Now, we're so close to the release of the game that I don't want some guy or gal on Youtube to experience it for me (no offense). At this point I just want to insert the game into my Nintendo Switch and see for myself. The last trailer has shown us A LOT, most likely too much, where it was fun to put together the puzzle pieces. But now I want to find out how these pieces truly fit together by playing, where I'm inclined to avoid the media until May 12th.

Well, let's see how it goes, but I probably won't talk about the game from now on until I get my copy. Since I'm in the middle of another Breath of the Wild playthrough (you can read it here), I certainly won't get bored in the meantime.

No comments: