Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Tears of the Kingdom Adventure Log, Entry 16

at the Akkala Sea, looking at some pirate ships at dawn

With Death Mountain cleared, the northeastern corner of the map was inviting me to explore its last nooks, both on the ground, in the skies, and in the Depths. Here I completed a first Lomei Labyrinth, collected various armor pieces, rode some dragons, and finally arrived on top of the food chain. Ultimately, I ended up uncovering huge parts of the Depths, where I thoroughly explored the eastern half of the map and a bit more to southeast, conquering the four remaining coliseums on my way.


Stalake

Backala to Akkala. Coming from the north of Death Mountain, I first crossed over the Skull Lake. I previously couldn't go there with the real Yunobo at my side, but of course Dark Yunobo will follow you everywhere, which is certainly helpful when dropping into a hole full of monsters.

Sidon's and Yunobo's shadows next to a gloomy Stalnox on the floor in the Depths

The left eye of the skull now lets you drop down a long shaft into a cave, while the right eye has a chasm into the Depths. Both play out the exact same way, however, where you have to fight a horde of stal enemies with a Stalnox at the end. I very much appreciate that they were trying to do something with the area's theme here, where in Breath of the Wild it primarily just served as the location where you first find Kilton. But it's a bit lame that both holes pretty much do the same thing...

 

Rare Weaponry

You'll find the Fierce Deity Mask in the cave and the Biggoron's Sword in the Depths below the Skull Lake, so it's certainly worth the trouble. I've also collected the Fierce Deity Armor later from Akkala Citadel, finally completing the set, which earns you the Fierce Deity's Sword.

There were no modifiers on it or the Biggoron's sword, where maybe these special weapons can't have those any longer when you pick them up, which would be fine with me. I even went back to the Hylian Shield yesterday and finally collected it, where there was no difference, even though I can get yellow weapon modifiers by now. But it doesn't actually matter at all in this game, as I've learned at Death Mountain...

Nintendo did add the one thing that many players wanted in Breath of the Wild – you can now repair your equipment. It's a bit obscure, however, where you have to use the Rock Octoroks for this, which in Breath of the Wild turned rusty weapons into normal ones. This time they repair any weapon you feed them and they will add a random modifier to them. This even works with the Hylian Shield, where you can just keep doing this until you have the best one.

moving the Hylian Shield towards a Rock Octorok

Hylian Shield - Shield Guard Up +7

And even that doesn't really matter that much. In Breath of the Wild you could have this insane value of "Shield Guard Up +54" on the Hylian Shield, where it will take a very long time to break, since this will is used for calculating how much durability is lost (to put it simply). The best I could do so far is "Shield Guard Up +9" for a potential shield value of 99. That's still pretty good, but the difference is not as significant as it used to be. Going with Durability Up+ might even be better this time, though you don't really see the exact value of what you're getting then.

In any case, there is absolutely no reason for waiting to pick up the Hylian Shield in Tears of the Kingdom, which is yet another small improvement over the previous title. In Breath of the Wild there was an incentive to wait until the best modifiers were available to you. And having a good modifier then turned the Hylian Shield into something special that you can never have again, so you might not want to use it that much, or at all... Well, you don't want to break it nevertheless, because it still costs 3000 Rupees to buy a new one, this time from Cece. But at least you can repair it now and also get modifiers on each exemplary.

I always thought that a repair feature might be a bad idea, because it could make you clog your inventory with nearly broken stuff, instead of just using it up. But for the most part it's not worth the trouble, so I don't think I will keep all too many things around for repair, while I can't deny how useful this feature is for keeping the Hylian Shield around.


House Expansion

Including the Boulder Breaker, I now had three "rare" weapons in my inventory, which I didn't want to "waste", so I decided to put them on display in my house. Luckily, you don't have to be as picky as you had to be in Breath of the Wild, since you can now have more than three weapon stands. But there is still a limit of 15 objects, which feels very strict, and there are other useful things to have, where you might not want to focus entirely on the weapon galleries.

my current house with an open lodge

You may also argue that the weapons in question aren't that special, but at least the Champion weapons seem quite expensive now, where I'm not willing to invest the diamonds to get more of them. The former amiibo weapons are much cheaper to re-obtain, where you can still get them for free via amiibo or buy them for Poe Souls at the Central Mine. I have over 3000 of them by now, where I just love to collect them, because the visual and sound effects are so cool.

displaying the rare two-handed weapons

And putting the amiibo weapons in your house makes it feel like a museum for historical weapons from past Zelda games, where the music is also a perfect fit. I failed to mention this the first time, but the music that plays at your house is of course the classic house theme from Ocarina of Time, which has been present in all 3D Zeldas games, except for Breath of the Wild. There was no need for it any longer in that game, since the house interiors became a seamless part of the village environments, but they still found a good place to bring it back here in Tears of the Kingdom. It may even be part of the reason why Link's new house isn't directly at some village, where you will always hear the village's theme.


Lomei Labyrinth Triple Deluxe

One thing that was taunting me constantly while snooping around Death Mountain were those two flying Borg cubes at the horizon. I just had to check one of them out sooner than later, because I was very curious what would await me here. This was even the main reason why I set path towards Akkala – to get to the Lomei Labyrinth Island in the northeast corner of the map.

inside a shrine driving a plate on wheels through a large obstacle course

I first flew to the top, where I only had access to an interesting shrine, which could have come right out of Trackmania. But it's an excellent example for showing the potential that a shrine maker would provide. People could build entire race tracks with such a thing... But back to the Lomei Labyrinth Island, with me standing in front of closed doors.

at the gates to the Lomei Island Sky Labyrinth

These labyrinths were part of the Zonai-themed ruins in Breath of the Wild, where now by some unnamed dragon ruler, who is doing his best Sheikah Monk impression and invites you to a trial that spans all three parts of the labyrinth.

It starts on the ground, where in Tears of the Kingdom you will find a new way of getting there: a cave on the North Akkala Beach will go below the sea and lead right into the large underground chamber, where you originally could find the Diamond Circlet and the Travel Medallion in a Guardian graveyard. Now it's another Gloom Spawn trap, how fitting...

In the labyrinth itself you can find breadcrumbs in the form of Acorns and Chickaloo Tree Nuts, which were left by Zonai researcher... Ultimately, you can just take a shortcut near the end, but I tend to explore the entirety of the labyrinths anyway, in order to collect all the treasure chests. But the whole place is now flooded and there are holes in the ground everywhere, making the traversal much more annoying than it was in Breath of the Wild.

on top the sky island labyrinth during the night

I expected the sky labyrinth to be worse, even, since it has no ground at all. But the gameplay there is much faster, because the entire place is surrounded by a low gravity bubble and all the corridors are filled with updrafts, so you can just quickly fly through the place. You can't climb the inner walls for no real reason, but the outer walls are still climbable and you can get quickly on top thanks to the lowered gravity effect.

Once you've completed the top section, you will jump down from there right into a chasm all the way into the Depths, which is super cool. In this case the labyrinth down there is very small, because they only had the actual space of the Lomei Labyrinth Island available, since it's surrounded by water, and they still needed room for the underground caverns and a Lightroot.

at the Lightroot on top of the small Depth labyrinth

They could have arranged the maze in a vertical layout, but they didn't and it wasn't hard to find the end here. As your final task, you need to defeat a stronger Flux Construct to finally obtain the price: the Evil Spirit Armor, which is how they've renamed the Phantom Ganon Armor from The Champions' Ballad. Sadly, it appears that the pieces of Royal Guard set are the only former DLC items that can now be enhanced, while the rest just stays bad. And this makes this reward overall very lackluster...

The effort to finish the labyrinth was effectively tripled, but its reward nowhere near as good as the Barbarian set was in Breath of the Wild. Its pieces had the very powerful attack buff, where it was certainly worth the trouble, if you didn't have the Young Link amiibo for the equally powerful Fierce Deity set. While the Phantom Armor set was easier to get, it was balanced by the fact that it couldn't be enhanced.

But this? I don't really get the choice... Originally, I expected to get the new extreme weather Zonai sets to be the rewards in the expanded Lomei Labyrinths, where you would find the helmet in the sky labyrinth, the trousers in the Depths labyrinth, and the body in the ground section. THIS would have been worthwhile, but I already knew that this won't be the case, since I've found the full Ember collection scattered around Goron Village.

Maybe the completed Evil Spirit set will give you disguise for the Gloom Spawn, since you're posing as an older version of Phantom Ganon. This would still make it worthwhile in the end, but realistically it shouldn't fall for that... The increased bone damage set bonus, if it still has that, should also be quite good, because the skeleton arm weapons cause now a lot more damage than they did in Breath of the Wild. But that's still a very minor perk, since they don't last long.

And I wouldn't even be discussing this if you simply could enhance the set. I don't get why one half of the sets based on classic characters can be enhanced and the other half can't. With some of the masks it makes sense, because they come with powerful perks (mainly Majora's Mask or Zant's Helmet) and therefore need to be balanced, but there is no good reason to leave Phantom Ganon weak.

on top of the sky labyrinth, staring into the far lands that you cannot reach

They've fixed many of the nitpicks that I had about Breath of the Wild, which is great, but this is still a thing that annoys me about both games, because these armor sets are effectively worthless in the later game if you can't enhance them. But of course you can always show off by wearing the Tingle set while fighting a Gleeok... I would never do this, but I'm sure there are people who do.


King of Kings

The Evil Spirit Armor is not the only thing you'll find at the Lomei Labyrinth Island, where there are also many chests filled with weapons fused to a Soldier IV Horn. This isn't the best you can do, but it's still quite solid, where my inventory was filled with weapons doing damage in the 40s or 50s. I only tend to fuse the materials to my weapons where I already have an overabundance (usually Black and Silver Bokoblin Horns), since you might need many of the horns for enhancing armors as well, so this is was the best I was doing for quite some time...

My constant lack of good weapons was what kept me from facing a Gleeok so far, where this now became my ticket to finally fight one. And not just any Gleeok, I wanted that King Gleeok above Eventide Island, which I already tried to fight in entry 13 over two weeks ago.

Scourge of Necluda Sea - King Gleeok (behind a rock that I'm climbing)

Well, the weapons still only did a couple of pixels of damage, but I wanted to beat this thing now and the environment was really enabling, because there are all these rocks where you can hide behind them, climb up, and then shoot the dragon heads in slow motion. You need to take them all down in quick succession, where they will regenerate quite quickly, so you really want to fuse your arrows with something helpful.

The first thing that comes to mind are the elemental weaknesses and indeed you can instantly take out the fire and ice heads with Frost and Fire Fruits respectively. That still left the lightning head, where I was struggling with this for a little while, since even Bomb Arrows didn't do enough damage. But then I gave Splash Fruits a try, just to see if the thunder head might be weak to water, and this actually worked...

I was positively surprised about this, because in Breath of the Wild there was no real counter to electric enemies. But you can use water now as a weapon element and it makes sense that it makes electric things go haywire... However, the Electric Lizalfos still don't really care and they are more annoying than ever, because they can keep their electric fields up while running. But in the least you can use it as a counter for the Thunder Gleeoks, it seems. (Update: this might have been a misconception on my end, because I couldn't recreate this trick the next time. Maybe the Splash Fruit fusion simply did enough damage or so.)

King Gleeok high up with about a quarter of its health left

The final phase of the battle, where the King Gleeok goes high up and bombards you, puts you right into panic mode, but I've already learned my lesson how to deal with such foes from the Flux Constructs, so I made it... I've beaten my first Gleeok, a king no less! I could also try my luck with a Flame Gleeok next, since I have the Fireproof set by now. Thunder Gleeoks are still annoying, because they limit my weapon choices so much, and I don't have good protection against the cold yet. But I've certainly went past the threshold where the game keeps getting easier with every step. The uphill battle is over and the monsters of Hyrule should beware.

The reward is another Sage's Will, where you can use four of them to strengthen the vow of one of your sages, where they do more damage. I've done this with Yunobo and Mineru by now.


Min(d)ing the Depths

Most of my recent playtime was actually spent underground, where I haven't made much progress with finding more Shrines of Light or Koroks on the overworld and sky islands, but I've activated a total of 30 Lightroots and went through so many mines that I have 13 full batteries now and more than 500 Zonaite left to be processed.

Technically, your Energy Cell will only have space for eight batteries, which are 24 Energy Wells, and I've already had reached that amount last time. But they will then turn from green to blue, which doubles the total, so that I still had an incentive to mine as much as possible. And timing-wise this felt right, because I was roughly half-way done with the game from my estimations. It would have been weird if I had completed the Energy Cell at that point already, even though my stamina wheels are also maxed out.

Link facing the camera in the Zonaite Armor and Hylian Hood, with the three sages behind him at a mine

Both Yunobo and Mineru's Construct have proven to be very useful during this endeavor. You can fire Yunobo into these holes with the large Zonaite deposits, where he will fully clear them in one or two shots. Mineru on the other hand can always smash ore deposits and any boxes with a single hit of her arms, even if they don't have anything fused to them. This saves you the need for any hammers and really puts the "mine" into Mineru.

shining into a mining hole with Mineru, 661 Zonaite being displayed

You can also pick up anything from atop the Construct, where the range for collecting items gets increased. This isn't only useful for mining, where I found that this helps with grabbing any insects that fly away when you approach them, mainly the Sunset and Deep Fireflies. They will still fly away, but since your grab range is so much larger than normal, you can just easily catch them while you approach via the Construct.

And I haven't even mentioned Mineru's best perk yet: since you can jump off from her, this gives you the opportunity to go into slow motion bow shots almost everywhere, like the Master Cycle Zero did in Breath of the Wild. This is huge and really helps with fighting certain overworld and underworld bosses, like for example the different types of Frox, which I've also been taking down...

Scourge of the Depths - Obsidian Frox (behind a large tree I'm climbing on)

Though, I sometimes employed the same method that I've used for the King Gleeok, where I just hid behind a large obstacle and used that as a vantage point for bow shots. They are really hard to hit in the eyes otherwise, because they keep making wiggly movements and fusing any eyeballs didn't do the trick.

Their eyes aren't the only classic weakpoint, where you can also throw Bomb Flowers into their mouths when they try to inhale you. I'm a bit sad that there were no Dodongos during the Death Mountain part of the game, but this is close enough...

Overall, I've been enjoying the gameplay loop of the Depths quite a lot, where it offers the two-dimensional exploration that made Breath of the Wild so good and addicting. You set a goal in the distance, usually a Lightroot, and on your way you will find various points of interest: Poe Souls, mines, Yiga bases, and boss monsters, where you will go from one to the next.

flying above a Yiga base in the water

It's extremely repetitive and completely lacks variety, which is my biggest criticism about the Depths, but with the hoverbike the pace becomes so good that I don't mind it that much. There is only very little downtime between the points of interest and it can even be used to fight some of the bosses, where I was just circling around the Marbled Gohma that now can appear in the Depths, shooting at it with Yunobo.

Scourge of the Depths - Marbled Gohma

This almost made it feel like one of those boat / train fights in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, just with Yunobo as the cannon, but you want to get off once the legs are destroyed and the eye is exposed. By the way, I also found a second Mucktorok, where there are more places for you to repeat the boss fights from the four main temples, from what it seems.

It's also fun to shoot Yunobo into enemy camps while you are flying around. So, he was really a good addition to the hoverbike and vehicles in general. But as good as the hoverbike can be, I also often end up like this:

Once you hit something you're effectively stuck and have to let go of the thing. This can be a bit annoying whenever you want to reach high terrain, but it's still better than anything else I ever came up with, so I just stick to the hoverbike for the most part. It's a wonder that they didn't nerf this in the latest patch, because it would make sense if the fans dissolved after a while, like they do when fused to Mineru.


Upside Down

Whether it's a mine, a Yiga base, or a boss arena, you can find all these locations by simply studying the map. But one thing I hadn't noticed, until some Yiga pointed it out in a notebook, is that the terrain of the Depths mirrors that of the overworld. I was aware that any bodies of water will result into a wall in the Depths, but on top of that the terrain became the inverse, where the smaller mines are always in pits below the mountains. This explains why the Depths are so flat when you first go down at Hyrule Field, but then become riddled with canyons below other areas.

flying through the canyons in the Depths

This is genius and really turns this into some twisted mirror world of Hyrule. The Zelda series has done similar things before, with the Dark World, Lorule, or Labrynna's past, but none of those have this scope or have completely inverted the original world.

This design choice seemingly comes with a couple of drawbacks, however. The Depths are derivative, where I wouldn't be surprised if they used some generator to create at least the basic terrain. And the Zelda team was not prepared to truly fill it, where it all just looks the same and brings the same things.

There are also certain dead ends and corners where you would think that you might find something there, only to discover absolutely nothing. Or there are just holes where you can fall into them with nothing inside... Those oddities simply exist because the world above demanded it and Nintendo didn't really flesh things out here.

But despite these complaints, I was still having fun and gradually activating all Lightroots in the east half of the map. Once you're down in the Depths, you can just keep going. They are only few areas in the Depths that are walled of in their entirety, where the only way into them is via another chasm, like Hyrule Castle, or the Hyrule Forest Park right next to that, where the chasm is hidden quite cleverly.

being chased by a Gloom Spawn at the Hyrule Forest Park

The Lomei Island Depths Labyrinth, the Tingle islands, or Eventide Island would be another example, but for the most part it's all connected. The only thing that might be stopping you is either the difficulty or a lack of battery juice, where it's probably not the best idea to explore the Depths in their entirety first thing.


Spot the Differences

Even though Hestu left the place, I still make regular pit stops at Lookout Landing, where after each completed temple (save for the Spirit Temple) the place will change a bit. The Zoras and Gorons have arrived and put up their banners.

Link in front of the two banners, with the Zonait Armor, Hylian Hood and Fireproof Boots

It's funny how the Zoras have sent some of their best soldiers to Lookout Landing, while Yunobo has sent... a bunch of kids. They are just rolling around and enjoying their stay, but they say that they are eager to smash some monsters.

And I hope that they will get their wish. There needs to be some big finale here at the end, where monster forces are trying to invade the place. This whole setting of a fortified location basically demands this, but if there's one thing that Nintendo is always good at, then it's creating missed opportunities.

For now all there is to do is look for the favorite horse of the mini stable's owner, which is called Spot, like Data's cat. But it's called this way because of its appearance:

Link and his gang approaching a white horse with black spots and a black mane

Once you've caught it, which is easy enough, the guy lets you keep it and right now I'm not sure if this is meant to be a special horse. Horses did not have patterns like this in Breath of the Wild, so to me it looks very special, but there could be new possible appearances in Tears of the Kingdom that I haven't encountered yet... It also has a wild temperament, despite the spots, where that's another thing that didn't exist before.

I pretty much stopped caring about finding (good) horses once I've met Malanya, however, who can upgrade any horse to the best stats, except for Epona and the giants. And the hoverbike really made them obsolete for the most part, like the Master Cycle Zero did in Breath of the Wild. So, this is a topic where I've lost interest very quickly, even though I was quite invested into this initially.


Dinraal Airlines

Backala to the Depths below Akkala, I kept seeing Dinraal and now that I had the full Fireproof set available to me, I could finally investigate where these dragons are going. I previously believed that they would lead you to the Light Dragon, but this was not the case...

They aren't really going anywhere, they are in fact just doing their rounds, where now they have their fixed routes. They go down through chasms into the Depths, but they will also leave them the same way. And apparently they just keep going in long circles. This is unlike in Breath of the Wild, where they've went through the could barrier and then re-appeared elsewhere. There was no way to follow them...

standing on Dinraal's face

But in Tears of the Kingdom you can also just chill on them for the whole tour. If you hit them for a piece, they will lose their glow, but this regenerates every ten minutes (or so), so you can stay and slowly farm some dragon parts this way. The crystal shards are available in bigger numbers at once, where they are probably best used for fusing.

If the dragons go down into a chasm, you can just stick to their mane. When they go up, holding onto them might be not as easy, but at least in Dinraal's case you can just sit tight in its horns:

Dinraal going up and Link standing on his left horn

The horns of Farosh and Naydra are shaped differently, though, so this might not work with them, but I will try to hold on to them for a full ride later on, once I feel more comfortable around them.


Yiga Chat

Below the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab you can find one of these giant pillars that let you use Ascend back to the overworld, in this case right into the lab. This led to a fun little interaction...


Whoops... Forgot my work clothes!


Much better... Hey, guys! Glory to Master Kohga!

If you don't put on the disguise, they will simply take you outside for a fight. By the way, the Hero's Path will now connect the dots in such situations, instead of warping you whenever the game moves you, which looks nicer and should be a blessing for those teleport-free players.


Coliseum Master

While exploring the Depths, I came across the other four coliseums, where one more thing I've learned from the Yiga is that there are six in total. I had previously cleared the Lone Island Coliseum below Eventide, where you fight all types of Bokoblins for Midna's Helmet. And I've done Forest Coliseum for the Korok Mask, where you only had to fight a single Black Hinox.

Next one I found was the Scorching Coliseum near the Fire Temple, where you have to battle all types of Moblins for Zant's Helmet, which still gives you the Unfreezable bonus, so now I can also ride on Naydra.

Zant on Naydra

It became apparent that the purpose of these coliseums it to give you the special head pieces and I had some clear expectations here, where the game did not disappoint me. Ravio's Hood is obtained from fighting Lizalfos at the Secluded Coliseum, where they have focused on the elemental types and Silver Lizalfos, so it's a bit different.

And ever since its introduction to Breath of the Wild, I've kept saying that Majora's Mask needs to be earned, because it combines all the monster masks into one, making it quite powerful. So, there just had to be a Lynel coliseum with Majora's Mask as its price. And the so called "Floating Coliseum" just so happens to be below the old Coliseum Ruins from Breath of the Wild, which used to be home to a Lynel, before something bigger drove it away. So, this had to be the place! There is even a Lynel in armor patrolling its vicinity as a fair warning: "Don't go in there if you're not prepared!"

riding a White-Maned Lynel surrounded by the sage gang

Since I had a lot of "fresh" practice with battling Lynels in Breath of the Wild, fighting all four types of Lynels one after another went really well... But I was a bit worried that they will unleash all four types at once at the end, where I still have PTSD from simultaneously fighting two Lynels in Age of Calamity. Luckily, Tears of the Kingdom isn't that evil, at least not yet, where at the end of the coliseum it's just another Silver Lynel who is coming for you, but this time it has armor and a powerful two-handed weapon – a Royal Claymore with a spiked ball fused to it.

The Lynels don't have their old weapons anymore, in fact none of the enemies do, except for the Yiga. I hadn't noticed this until now, because in Breath of the Wild the Bokoblins, Moblins, and so on could just use any weapon anyway, so I didn't really pay any attention to this. Lynels, however, always had their weapons, with the special exception of a Flameblade wielding Lynel in the aforementioned Coliseum Ruins, so this became really apparent at this point. 

You can still get their special shields and bows, but the old enemy weapons are all gone, which feels like something is missing. But this was probably done in favor of Fuse. You now get the new horns to craft powerful weapons, so you don't really need the strong weapons as a reward from fighting Lynels. And having all the different weapons from Breath of the Wild would have complicated the Fuse mechanic even further, where the developers probably wanted to keep the amount of base weapons as low as possible.

Anyway, even without a Mighty Lynel Crusher, it kept destroying all my shields, until I almost had none left and I got a bit frustrated (I didn't go for the Hylian Shield yet at the time). But I managed to beat the last Lynel and indeed got Majora's Mask for my efforts. This is exactly how I wanted it...!

You have to be careful with what you wish for, however, because now the mask isn't as valuable any longer. If you're good enough to get it, you won't have much need for it. But it's still better than what they had done with it in Breath of the Wild, where you can easily find it right after the tutorial, which made the early game a joke and all other monster masks fully obsolete. This is not the case any longer and it's a good change overall, so I'm all for it.

Well, one more coliseum was missing and I've made an educated guess that it might be somewhere under the desert, maybe somewhere below the Arbiter's Grounds, so that's where I've went looking. I've been to the Abandoned Gerudo Mine before, but I've only followed the heroine statues directly to the mine and didn't really explore any further at the time. And it didn't take me long to find the coliseum right where I had expected it...

a Lightroot, the Coliseum and gloomy red Gibdos

On the way I had my first encounter with Gibdos in the game, where I've been looking forward to this ever since the dark February trailer. And I'm a bit disappointed that it took so long, where they are seemingly exclusive to the desert area. The game also doesn't distinct between ReDeads and Gibdos, like the Nintendo 64 Zelda games did, where it's just one and the same here. In fact, there was no game that had both ever since Majora's Mask, unless you count Hyrule Warriors, but the ReDead Knights there were just flaming Gibdos, basically.

Now, this version doesn't seem to have the paralyzing scream any longer, which always was their signature move. It was super annoying, so I'm not too mad, or maybe I simply haven't triggered it yet, because I didn't feel like experimenting that much with the gloom versions here in the Depths. They are now immune against normal weapons, however, where it feels like you're hitting indestructible wood. But they are very weak to fire, where the west half of the map will certainly let you make good use of any flame weapons. Good thing that I've already been to Death Mountain...

In addition, there is a new type of Gibdo, the "Moth Gibdo", which can fly and spit acid. A Fire Fruit Arrow will make short work of them, so they feel about as threatening as the Aerocudas  At first I even thought that this was an Aerocuda carrying a Gibdo, but it's just really strange Gibdos...

The Gibdos almost made me forgot about the Desert Coliseum, which is covered in rock, so that the Horriblins inside have a ceiling to hang on. This gives you Sheik's Mask, which is also a good fit thematically for this Gibdo-infested area, since it puts your face into bandages. And it would be awesome if the game also had a Gibdo Mask for your armor collection...

It's a bit weird how Sheik's Mask is the only item in the coliseum collection that can be enhanced, though. And this is really just some legacy decision from Breath of the Wild, where Sheik's Mask was an amiibo item and the other retro head pieces were part of the DLC, where for some reason none of the latter came with any enhancements. As already mentioned, in case of Majora's Mask and Zant's Helmet it makes sense to have those without upgrades from the Great Fairies, because this keeps these powerful items more balanced. But there was nothing stopping them from letting you enhance Ravio's Hood or the Korok Mask...

Speaking of armor, during my travels in the Depths I also found the Miner's Trousers at the Hylia Canyon Mine, which makes you glow. I was hoping for something like this, especially since Tri Force Heroes had the Lamp Armor for dark areas. It would have been weird if Tears of the Kingdom didn't offer something similar for the Depths, so I was really happy about this find. There's lots of new armor to collect on top of what we already had in Breath of the Wild.


Progress:

  • Sage's Vows: 3
  • Sage's Wills: 10
  • Memories: 13/18
  • Towers: 11/15
  • Shrines: 104
  • Lightroots: 90
  • Caves: 77/147
  • Korok Seeds: 312
  • Schema Stones: 9
  • Yiga Schematics: 14

2 comments:

Raul said...

Yeah the Lynels not having their signature melee weapons is a little weird. None of them use elemental or bomb arrows either which is also strange since some normal enemies like Bokoblins do. It does at least make killing them the easiest way to farm arrows tho.

Hoping if gold enemies return via dlc that some gold lynels can have the savage crusher once again. Always loved the look of that weapon and I'd like to make insane fuse combos with it.

Raul said...

With Majora's Mask weirdly enough I found the best use to be for mining zonaite from lots of enemy camps without fighting them. Annoying that stuff like keese and chu-chus aren't affected tho when they seem like lower life forms compared to bokoblins or moblins.