Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Nintendo Switch Online Adds Four Swords and Zero Mission

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack, covers of Four Swords and Zero Mission

There were more Zelda news today and it's not as small as you might think it is... Nintendo has finally added A Link to the Past + Four Swords to the Game Boy Advance library, which is part of the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack. What makes this so special is that you can now play the first Zelda multiplayer game online with friends, which is something that wasn't possible before on any Nintendo hardware.

To beat and complete the original game on the Game Boy Advance you needed another GBA, a connection cable, and another copy of the game for every player. It took me many years to cross this off my list and I was never able to play the full four player mode, three players were the most.

So, Nintendo has now given me a reason to subscribe to the Expansion Pack, congratulations. I have preferred to purchase the offered DLCs and there weren't any other games in the extended library that I really wanted, but this has now changed.

In addition, they've also added Metroid: Zero Mission. This one doesn't have any multiplayer, but it did have some connectivity bonuses, where the Metroid Fusion Gallery is now unlocked by default (source). Originally, you needed to connect it to Metroid Fusion for this, using two Game Boy Advance systems and a link cable. And the Wii U Virtual Console didn't allow you to access it at all, so this is already an improvement.

2 comments:

Ikhana Kingdom said...

YAY, I'm so happy this happened. I'm kinda hoping FS Adventure will end up in the library as well one day, as those are a few of the Zelda games I've still not played through. Do you think they'll add Gamecube games at all?

I'll gladly pay for the Online Expansion Pack instead of sitting infront of the TV with old GBA's, multiple games and cables that probably don't even work anymore. :D I don't even own a physical copy of ALttP+FS. I think.

TourianTourist said...

If they don't add a GameCube library for the Switch, then they will do it on the successor. Though, it should technically work already, since the Mario 3D Allstars collection emulated GameCube and Wii games...

And this is probably the only chance of Four Swords Adventures ever making a proper return. I can't imagine them remaking this, since they'd rather make a new multiplayer Zelda instead. But having it as part of NSO will be good enough.

PS: If you need another player, let me know. :D