Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Terranigma – Rebirth Announced

screenshot of one of the early tower dungeons played

Terranigma is one of those classic Action RPGs this blog has covered in its early days and then never mentioned again... Mainly because this game never has reappeared in any way or form, where I had been hoping for a Virtual Console release ever since the Wii. Well, Clear River Games is set out to change this. They simply went to Square Enix and asked them if they could bring this game back, which is going to happen next year. You can watch their  trailer on Youtube.

Calling this a "remaster" would be an overstatement, however. It's actually more of a port of the SNES game to all modern systems, where they even kept the 4:3 screen format. You get some additional info at the side of the screen and some quality of life updates, but that's really it. Oh, and there is a new artwork by the original game's character designer, Kamui Fujiwara (source: jpgames.de).

To be perfectly honest... I'm not all that excited. While I absolutely loved the game back in the day, there are certain aspects where it hasn't aged all that well. Personally, I would have preferred a full-blown remake with pretty visuals, but this is certainly better than nothing. Still, I probably would have been more excited if Nintendo simply had added this to their NSO library after all those years.

No comments: