Sunday, September 18, 2016

My Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U Stages

One of the first things that I did on this blog was sharing stages for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Let me return to this little tradition by presenting my first creations for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, even if it might be a little late to the party.

Sadly, the stage builder in the new game isn't as versatile as the one from Brawl. It lets you draw free shapes, which is great and offers many possibilities for the stage layout, but it doesn't have all the in-built elements anymore like falling blocks, conveyor belts, ice blocks or any of the structures. There are only magma layers, cannons, springs and moving platforms available for your creations, which feels somewhat limiting.

Nevertheless I wanted to give this a shot, where so far I made one stage for each "theme", but most of my stages are very simple, so don't expect anything crazy. You can currently find the stages on Miiverse and download them ingame or you can just try to rebuilt them, if they got removed.




Space Jump

  • Music: Multiplayer (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
  • Size: Medium
This is the very first stage that I made back in 2014, when the game was released. It is reminiscent of one of my stages that I made for Brawl ("Sanctuary", see here) and the idea is to fight in a shaft with a spring at the bottom, which can be a lot of fun. There are also cannons at the sides that shoot you back up on the pillars.



Beach Cave

  • Music: The Great Sea / Menu Select (Wind Waker)
  • Size: Large
This is another stage that I made back in 2014, where I just tried the free shape editor and ended up with something very crazy. Fighting inside the "cave" with the magma ceilings will potentially boost you up to very high percentages without falling to death. It's similar to the lower areas of the Hyrule Temple stage, just much more extreme. Combine this with the relaxed Wind Waker theme in the background and you're in for some long lasting "brain dead" fun.



Sky Field

  • Music: Ballad of the Goddess
  • Size: Medium
This is just a very simple Zelda themed stage that I made for playing with small player counts. The only special thing here are the dropthrough platforms below the stage. Otherwise it was built with Bayonetta's angled neutral Special in mind, but don't tell this my sparring partners.



Tetris Terror

  • Music: Tetris Type A
  • Size: Medium
Tetris themed stages used to be my favorites in Brawl and naturally I had to make at least one in Super Smash Bros. 4 as well. There is nothing special or crazy about this stage, it's just a fighting ground made out of the seven Tetrinos. The focus was more on the playability this time, where the fights tend to concentrate on the inner area, because it's not so easy to kick you out of there.

Originally there were gaps between all the blocks, but I couldn't figure, how to make the inner ledges grabable and it turned out to be a frustrating death trap. It seems like the game decides for itself, where to give this option or not, which might be another limitation of the editor. So, in the end I just decided to move the lower blocks together.



Lava Pit

  • Music: Brinstar Depths
  • Size: Large
This is a large platform, which moves up and down, above a U-shaped lava abyss. It's a very simple idea, which turned out to be surprisingly fun.

No comments: