Friday, September 18, 2020

The Ganon All the Time

Tom Holland in a forest wearing a white shirt with a grim look and Ezelo photoshopped onto his head

So, I've watched The Devil All the Time last evening, which is an excellent movie on Netflix starring Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland, and woke up to the news that Netflix might be have another role for Tom Holland in mind: Link from The Legend of Zelda. (Source)

There have been rumors about Zelda on Netflix for a while now and they arguably have done a great job with both The Witcher and Castlevania. Well, sometimes I feel like such rumors are thrown out there into the wild to see how the potential audience would react. And I'm not sure I like the idea...

Of course when they first had announced that Henry Cavill would be playing Geralt of Rivia, I wasn't convinced either and he ended up being the perfect choice. But the problem isn't so much the casting choice, but the format of a live action movie or series in general.

It worked well for The Witcher, but with Zelda you're dealing with a lot more fantastical characters thanks to the different tribes, like the Gorons, the Zora, the Rito or the Korogs. So, you would be dealing with a silent protagonist, who's "interacting" with lots of CGI beings. And I'm not convinced that this would work all too well...

Until recently I even thought that an animated movie for Breath of the Wild would be the way to go, but it seems like the backstory of that game will be heavily explored in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, which will certainly be the more entertaining medium for me personally. But I still think that an anime would be the right way to go for putting Zelda on the big screen or making another Zelda series.

No comments: