Tuesday, June 13, 2017

E3 2017: Roundup

METROID IS BACK, BABY!!!

Nintendo's main presentation is over and I'm fairly happy with the result. About half of my E3 2017 Predictions became a reality. They showed us more of the Breath of the Wild DLC, where in this turn they also confirmed two of my major predictions:


No Breath of the Wild movie, though. Also, there wasn't a Smartphone Zelda announced, but the Spotlight focused on Nintendo Switch anyway, so this still might happen.

And finally they have announced Metroid Prime 4! But sadly it seems they aren't far enough into development to show any of it this year, so it's probably something for E3 2018 and they just made the teaser to give us something. Otherwise there probably would have been a riot from the Metroid fanbase.

The biggest surprise to me probably was that they didn't announce a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, because after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokémon Tournament Deluxe and many more Switch ports this seems like an obvious cash-in. Still can happen, though! It seems like they want to focus on ARMS and Splatoon 2 this E3, where Smash Bros. for Switch would have taken away a lot of the attention.

More thoughts about the individual announcement coming soon!


Update:

Metroid: Samus Returns announced for Nintendo 3DS! Nice! This is another prediction I got right. Last year, after they shot down AM2R, I made the prediction that they are working on a Metroid 2 Remake themselves, probably based on Other M (see The Future of Metroid - a future now confirmed). Also, this really confirms that there are currently two Metroids in development, one classic title and a Prime game.

4 comments:

Eduardo Jencarelli said...

It's almost as if Nintendo's read my mind. I'm actually focused on finishing Metroid games as of right now.

This past week, I took a break from Breath of the Wild to focus on finishing Metroid Other M, which has been sitting in my shelf for nearly 7 years. I just got the Gravity Suit and spent last night collecting upgrades before tackling the final area. Given the game's surprisingly high difficulty curve, I'm not looking forward to the game's hard mode without upgrades.

I also plan on playing Federation Force soon, preferably before September. I've also yet to play the Prime trilogy in the harder difficulty settings, including hypermode. I've only played them on normal. I should do hypermode at least for Prime 3 in order to unlock the remaining gold credits.

Eduardo Jencarelli said...

I've also purposefully postponed playing AM2R until I wrapped Other M.

TourianTourist said...

I've beaten Other M on Hard Mode about two years ago. It was really satisfying, especially the Ridley battle was a thrill!

Also planning on beating the Prime Trilogy on Hyper Mode. Haven't done this yet, as well. I've tried in Prime 3 originally, but I couldn't get past Mogenar.

I'm also getting both Zero Mission and Fusion on the Wii U Virtual Console and I will play those soon.

Eduardo Jencarelli said...

Fusion was a pleasure to replay on the gamepad, as was Zero Mission. With Zero Mission, however, I'm guilty of using restore points to survive the 15% run on Hard Mode. Facing Mother Brain with so few missiles and a couple of E-Tanks is a brutal challenge in itself.