Tuesday, June 11, 2019

E3 2019: Roundup

screenshot of Link fighting the Evil Eagle in the Link's Awakening remake on top of the Eagle's Tower
This should be a stage in Smash!

Good show. As a Zelda fan I'm very satisfied and got what I wanted: some nice new things about Link's Awakening and a first glimpse at the Breath of the Wild sequel. The Metroid fan in me is of course a little bit disappointed, but used to it. Maybe next year...

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Dragon Quest & Banjo-Kazooie


This is probably only of little interest to me, since I'm not a fan of either games. The Dragon Quest DLC looks really well done, though, with all the different alts for the heroes. It's a little bit weird to have characters originally drawn by Akira Toriyama in Smash now, but it's a very popular series and certainly a good choice overall.

Banjo & Kazooie on the other hand is some serious grave digging. I know this game has its fans, but so does Golden Sun for example, where they also didn't bother. And the Spiral Mountain stage looks kind of bad...But the reveal trailer for Banjo was very funny, I give them that. It's almost frightening how well they are in touch with the Smash community here, where "Banjo would just be a Duck Hunt clone / Echo" was a running gag for a while now.

I suppose, Minecraft might just be getting the single DLC stage, if anything at all. And it might really be that the last two Challenger Packs will be Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer, but I would be hyped about both of them.


Link's Awakening


Yes, Color Dungeon is back and the Camera Shop is gone (good riddance), just as we had predicted here. And instead of the Camera Shop we get the nice new "Dungeon Maker" feature. Absolutely awesome!

It also looks like the game has more Heart Pieces and Heart Pieces to collect, as well as Fairy Bottles. And there is amiibo support for all Zelda amiibo for the new Chamber Dungeons. More about all that later.

Most importantly, it all looks really nice. It's very faithful to the original game, but has improved in many different ways and the whole clay diorama art style is just lovely. I can't wait to play this!


Breath of the Wild Sequel


Okay, wow, while I was playing with the thought of them showing the sequel already, I didn't really expect it. But here it is... And it's not at all what I was hoping for. But let's talk about this in a separate post, like all the Link's Awakening stuff!

No comments: