Sunday, May 21, 2023

Switched to the Tears of the Kingdom Switch OLED

Last month I had purchased the Tears of the Kingdom Edition of the Nintendo Switch OLED, but I didn't bother with setting it up until today, because I was busy with other things, like playing Breath of the Wild on my old Switch. But now that I've officially started Tears of the Kingdom, it was finally time to setup the corresponding console to play the game in style.

Well, I also waited for the new carrying case and the official screen protector from Nintendo... The latter was a total bust, however. Originally, I had a good experience with it for my old Nintendo Switch, where you open it up in the middle and this makes it much easier to apply without any air bubbles. But... this time it has like a line over the middle because of this, which now goes over the whole screen and is really annoying. So, I will have to replace it soon, I guess.

This whole process is also something I absolutely hate when purchasing new devices with a screen. Why can't they come with a screen protector factory installed? Then you would be good to go right away and you would only ever need to install one yourself in case the pre-installed one gets damaged. It's just very bad customer experience, just so that they can sell these things extra (only bundled with a case, mind you, which is a joke). This isn't even a Nintendo exclusive problem, it's the same with phones, tablets, and everything with a screen.

Also, the whole system transfer was much, much simpler with the Nintendo 3DS. Here it's not even a system transfer any longer, you can only transfer users and their save data. Everything else needs to be re-downloaded and you also have to get your settings right again.

Plus, if you have been playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons, there is this whole dilemma that your island is tied to your console and you need an extra tool to transfer it. But of course you can't open the same software with the same Nintendo Account on two different consoles at the same time, so you need to make a new user for it...

It's like Nintendo's goal was maximum inconvenience with all of this and I'm not all too happy right now, even if this shiny new Switch looks very shiny. I will need to get a new background light, though, because the blue Sheikah Slate light feels now outdated. I hope there will make a green one with the Zonai interaction symbol from Tears of the Kingdom... Like with the keychain thingy.

About Animal Crossing, my old Switch might go to my mother, who has been enjoying New Leaf quite a lot lately, after she got a New Nintendo 2DS from me a couple of years ago, right before it was discontinued. I'm not sure she would actually want to switch to the new game right now, but let's see... Would be nice if it stayed in the family, since this Switch has seen some good action for the past two and a half years.

No comments: