Saturday, March 18, 2023

Got Bayonetta Origins

photo of the game case and steelbook

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon... They couldn't have possibly come up with a longer title, where I probably would have just called this "Cereza". Anyway, I mainly got this with the steelbook for my collection, where the Bayonetta series is one of those cases where I tend to start the games, but never finish them.

But maybe this will be different this time, because it's more of a proper Action Adventure, instead of the usual Hack 'n' Slash cost. It feels a lot like a Zelda game on many ends, especially when a little piano piece gets played while opening a treasure chest. I also really like the double character mechanic, where you control Cereza with the left stick and shoulder buttons, while Chesire is handled with the right stick and shoulder buttons. It sounds complicated at first, but it works, because they've kept both characters very simple. It's actually quite fun, at least from what I've played so far, where I'm still early in the game.

This probably wouldn't work as well for a Zelda game, where you control Link and Zelda at once, even though I love the idea. But since you only can use the shoulder buttons and not the face buttons, you're quite limited in your actions.

The art style is also lovely, but the beginning of the game is too slow with lots of exposition. It takes over an hour to get to the point where you can play as Cheshire... Anyway, here's to another distraction until Tears of the Kingdom arrives.

No comments: