Thursday, September 10, 2026

Nintendo Today: The Legend of Zelda Collectible Cards

Nintendo Today! Collectible Cards, receive a new card each day, from September 9th

Nintendo wants you to use the Nintendo Today app. They really do, and they are trying all sorts of things to motivate people to click on this app on a daily basis. One of these strategies are digital collectible cards. And I would be lying if I said that this trick didn't work on me, because I have all the ones for the Super Mario Galaxy Movie.

As part of the 40th Anniversary initiatives, they are now doing the same thing for The Legend of Zelda, with more than 300 cards based on the entire series. Every day you can collect one predetermined card, but there is more to this: each card you claim will come with a quiz question. And if you answer correctly, you will earn a medal. You can use these medals to obtain the cards you've previously missed.

So, if you've missed the one from yesterday, because you were too busy screaming at the Nintendo Store, then you can use the medal from today to obtain it. But this one won't give you the quiz question, so you won't be able to earn another medal from it. You can only get one medal per day.

There are also four phone wallpapers to unlock, which cost 130 medal in total, which is nearly half of what you can earn over the course of all 300+ cards. But they will add more of these wallpapers, one for each card set, where those seem to cost 10 additional medals per set. It's unclear how many sets there are in total, where in the end you should not be missing a single day if you truly want all the things. Of course, you can just get these wallpapers elsewhere, but even if you ignore them, you still need to be there every second day and get all of the quiz questions right if you want a full collection of cards. It's quite strict.

With the Super Mario Galaxy Movie this wasn't the case... I kept forgetting about it, but there weren't as many cards and the event was running for quite some time, so it had a lot of leeway.

At least, the 40th Anniversary also solves one of my biggest issues I had the with the app: the Zelda theme so far was purely based on Tears of the Kingdom, and I'm sick of seeing that game. Now the theme is based on a different Zelda game every day. Yesterday it was Oracle of Ages, today it is A Link to the Past + Four Swords. And that alone already makes a big difference. I want to see what art they are using, it's like a daily Zelda sheet calendar.

I also love Zelda quizzes, because I'm good at them. There is so much knowledge about the Zelda games stored in my brain, but it's only really useful for two things: this blog and answering questions about the games. But there is no timer there, so you can also look up the answers just in case.

No comments: