Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Ocarina of Time Remake: amiibo Announced

product images of the two new amiibo

Well, it was certainly expected that we're going to see some new amiibo during the Direct. And it's going to be two amiibo for the new Ocarina of Time, one for Young Link and one for Young Zelda, both sitting down. The funny part is what they will actually do in the game:

graphic showing Link with masks next to the corresponding amiibo

They will unlock new masks for Link to wear, where he can pose in the classic Nintendo 64 polygonal style. It will be interesting to see if they will create new reactions, where people will talk about how clunky you look. And you may even truly be able to carry around multiple masks at once, instead of just renting one at a time, but that's only speculation.

Anyway, I was certain that such an amiibo feature was somewhere in my list of ideas for the remake, but this doesn't seem to be the case. But I had given it some thought what amiibo could do in Ocarina of Time and "unlocking new masks" was the best I could come up with. Well, it looks like Nintendo agrees.

Now is the question whether other Zelda amiibo might also unlock additional masks, but they probably would have shown this. I would love to run around with a goofy Ganondorf mask or with some Zonai goggles. But maybe they will reveal something when the Mineru amiibo hits the stores next week.

Curiously, these amiibo are scheduled for 2027, so you won't be able to use them for the game right away. (But this won't stop people from spoofing NFC chips, so we can already see what they will do in detail once the game has launched.)

2 comments:

Raul said...

Would probably be more fitting for Majora's Mask but I always wanted the Mario mask that Happy Mask Salesman has as a bonus unlockable. Maybe it could give Link access to a hammer weapon for fire magic.

Would probably never happen but I'd love the scrapped adult Link mask from MM as a hard to get unlock in this that allows you to time travel and switch from kid to adult on the fly. Would need to be limitations on where you can use it tho.

TourianTourist said...

Yeah, I like the idea. With the addition of the new jump button, the Mario Mask could play the classic Super Mario jump sound.