Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Ocarina of Time Remake: Playing the Ocarina

Young Link holding the Fairy Ocarina

In the gameplay footage Aonuma demonstrated how the ocarina is played in the Ocarina of Time remake. And... they have changed the buttons yet again from the Nintendo 3DS version. L and R seem to be the same notes, but A, X and Y have all been swapped. So, Zelda's Lullaby is now Y X A Y X A, instead of X A Y X A Y. As if the change in Ocarina of Time 3D wasn't already confusing enough, you now have to relearn all of the songs a third time.

But worry not... You can just hum the melodies into your Nintendo Switch 2 microphone now! No need to remember any buttons. Ain't that nice? Or... you can even play an instrument, like the official ocarina they are going to sell in the Nintendo Store.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Playable Ocarina

Well, that could be fun, but it certainly won't be more convenient. At least you can also check your songbook via the ZL button, so this should make things easy enough. And to be honest, by now I have completely forgotten how the songs go in Ocarina of Time 3D, because it's been ten years since I have last played that version.

I was considering to replay the 3DS version before the remake comes out, but maybe I will refrain from that to not build some song muscle memories that won't be compatible.

Update: after sleeping a night on this, I came to realize that the new order is actually more intuitive, because it follows the alignment of the C-buttons from the Nintendo 64. So, the fault is really with Ocarina of Time 3D here, because they already should have done it like this back then.

No comments: