Thursday, September 5, 2019

Link's Awakening Remake: More Plus Effects Revealed (Including Wallmaster)

The Nintendo Direct presentation sadly didn't reveal any major new features for the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake. The only new info was that you can save your Chamber Dungeons on any The Legend of Zelda amiibo.

(Since there doesn't seem to be a Special Edition Nintendo Switch bundle coming any time soon, this will come in handy for me, because I will need to borrow a Nintendo Switch to play the game on its release day... But at least I will be able to save any interesting dungeon creations.)

Anyway, if we go through the footage, we can spot some new things, including several Plus Effects for the Chamber Dungeon:

part of a screenshot that shows six plus effects in the Chamber Dungeon menu

  • Bombs
  • Rupees
  • Hearts
  • Wallmaster
  • Buzz Blobs
  • Shadow Link

We've already seen the bomb effect in action and we can only assume that the Rupees, Hearts and Buzz Blobs will be similar, where these things keep raining from the ceiling for a while. So, Rupees and Hearts will be helpful Plus Effects, while Buzz Blobs will be certainly very annoying.

The real interesting one here is the Wallmaster. This makes a lot of sense as a Plus Effect, because Wallmasters in games like A Link to the Past were more like a special rule within the dungeon room, where this effect could theoretically be added to any dungeon room in any Zelda game with Wallmasters. Link's Awakening didn't have them originally, however, where this is a new enemy that comes exclusively with the Chamber Dungeon. Very nice!

With the Chamber Dungeon they could potentially even add other enemies and even bosses, which weren't present in the original game. For example they could add some of the enemies that have appeared in the Oracle games, like the Lynels... This could even go hand in hand with remaking the Oracle games next.

Of course those are probably not all available Plus Effects. Spawning a fairy comes to mind here, though alongside the hearts they would make a Chamber Dungeon probably too easy. Another idea would be adding falling rocks, like you have them in the west of the Tal Tal Mountains, or turning all the lights in a room off.

4 comments:

angelday said...

> I will need to borrow a Nintendo Switch to play the game on its release day

Oh, come on. Just get one, leave your friends alone. :)

TourianTourist said...

It's not a big deal, because that particular friend, who has already agreed to lend me a Nintendo Switch, often has it in my place anyway and also borrows my Switch games, like currently Fire Emblem: Three Houses... :D

And no, I won't be getting a Nintendo Switch or any Nintendo hardware, unless there is a Zelda Edition... That's what Nintendo has taught me last generation, so if they want to sell me their systems, it's gotta be in a shiny Zelda look.

angelday said...

Makes sense to wait for the Zelda edition and go to lengths deferring purchase decision. Hopefully they'll have a bundle with BotW2, so you can get it. I really like the Switch, hasn't done any 3DS'ing myself since.

TourianTourist said...

Yeah, to be honest, with Link's Awakening I'm getting to the point where I really grow impatient. In fact I wanted to do a blog post today about this topic... :D I have a collection of seven Switch games by now and it would be nice to play some of them...

But I'm just too worried that such a Special Edition might come out very soon, where I buy a Switch now and then immediately regret it. Maybe a bundle is planned for Christmas or maybe Skyward Sword HD really is happening early next year, where it might come with a bundle as well.

When Breath of the Wild 2 comes out and there is still no bundle, it will be critical to get one, however, because I can't simply borrow a Switch for weeks. :D Hopefully it won't come to this point...

On the bright side, I do still play my 3DS, where I just got into Fire Emblem recently. And it's nice to really go through my backlog of Wii U and 3DS games, before I finally move on to the Switch.